Wednesday, November 5, 2008

First track workout with the Colorado team

I joined the Northern Denver team last night for my first TNT experience east of the Rockies. It was a track workout and it was tough! There were four other girls there -- all very nice. All are training for full marathons. The team is into its eighth week and everyone is much better accustomed to the altitude than me. That's what kicked my butt.

We did the following track workout:
  • Warm-up: 2 laps
  • 1 lap at 75-80% maximum
  • 1 lap recovery
  • 2 laps at 75-80% maximum
  • 1 lap recovery
  • 3 laps at 75-80% maximum
  • 1 lap recovery
  • 1 lap at 75-80% maximum
  • Cool down: 2 laps
The three laps at high intensity are what nearly did me in. One of the girls, Beth, was pretty fast, and at first I tried to keep up with her. It was a good challenge! However, it was unrealistic. She's just must faster than me, but I liked trying to chase her.

The track we were at was behind a new middle school, and it had no lights! With daylight savings time over, it was pretty dark out there. Fortunately, I remembered to bring my headlamp, but I was the only one who had one! Crazy. I have no idea how the rest of the girls ran without tripping in the dark because the track wasn't paved; it was dirt and it wasn't completely smooth all the way around.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the long run with the team Saturday morning. And I can hardly wait to see Team Oz in San Antonio! It'll be here before I know it -- 10 days till I meet up with them. Go Team!

No comments: