Friday, November 21, 2008

San Antonio - Rock and Roll Expo

I flew into San Antonio midday on Saturday. Easily half the people on my flight from Dallas were running the marathon, including the couple sitting next to me. I heard from them that over 30,000 people had registered for the race - holy toledo!

It just happened to work out perfectly for my friend, Natasya, to pick me up from the airport. She and I went to 3rd and 4th grade together in Walnut Creek and have kept up off and on over the years following her family's move back to Texas. I used to visit her on vacations to Houston, but we last saw each other just before (or after?) I graduated from TCU, so it had been a while!

We most recently reconnected via Facebook and
discovered that we were both running the race in San Antonio. I swear, it's such a small world! Natasya drove down from Austin with her sister and brother-in-law and picked me up on her way to the expo. I couldn't have planned it any better.

We had a dickens of a time parking. San Diego's expo was much easier to get in and out of. Then again, I went on Friday there, so that was probably the difference (note to self for the future). Everyone and their mother was trying to go to the expo with us in
San Antonio on Saturday!

We eventually snaked a great street spot and made our way inside to get our bibs and race chip, plus all the other stuff they put in your gear bag. (Most of it is junk.) Since Natasya and I had both been to expos before, we didn't linger too long. I did stop by the Team In Training booth to write on the wall, though!

My pet peeve with the Rock and Roll events is the cotton t-shirt they give you. Cotton, really?! For the amount of money it costs to enter the race, they should really give a technical (dry wicking) top out. That's what the SF Marathon did, and I really appreciated it!
Since a cotton t-shirt just wouldn't cut it, I tried to buy a cool technical top like I had done in San Diego, but the expo was practically cleared out of its merchandise. I guess 30,000 people will do that. They clearly hadn't planned for such a volume of people -- and that would become even more obvious following the race itself.

No comments: