Tuesday, September 23, 2008

San Francisco Sunset

Today was a quintessential September day in San Francisco -- sunny, with temperatures in the mid-70s. I'm so glad I planned ahead to run in the city after work!

I drove out to Ocean Beach -- I used to run out there "a lot" when Chris and I lived in the Inner Sunset. It's such a beautiful landscape (or it would be a seascape?). Don't get me wrong, it's not Hawaii or the Caribbean, but it is the ocean. And it's hard to go wrong running next to the ocean for several miles.

I parked just below the Cliff House and ran all the way down The Great Highway to S
loat Ave. (near the zoo). I noticed along the way that the sun was pretty low in the sky, but I didn't really think I'd still be running come sunset. Well, the timing worked out perfectly; I ran for 55 minutes, getting back to the base of the hill below the Cliff House as the sun was dipping toward the horizon.

I love sunset and twilight; it's my favorite part of the day after sunrise and dawn. Both remind me of the good in the world and of nature's beauty and promise.

Lots of other people were also taking in the stunning panoramic view: Down on the beach a woman kick-boxed, dogs ran wild, couples strolled, and kids chased each other. In the water, surfers in black wetsuits waited for a wave big enough to ride into shore; they looked a bit like a flock of birds. Up on the sidewalk, tourists and locals alike paused to watch the brilliant round ball of yellow gold reflect off the water.

It only took 10 minutes for the sun to sink below the horizon. I watched until the last sliver, which looked like a horizontal canoe, slipped away. It was a priceless respite in a world gone topsy turvy with financial and economic chaos.

[Disclaimer: These aren't my photos; sadly, I didn't have my camera with me!]

No comments: