Saturday, September 27, 2008

Honoring Our Honorees

Today was a bit of a tough run mentally for everyone. It was warm, and the out-and- back route we ran was uphill all the way back. No wimps, though! I ran the first 5.75 miles with Ernie. I only needed to go 8 miles total, but I've been logging extra mileage because I can, and Becca was pouring water and playing tunes at the second water stop, so I had to make it to her table! She's my fellow spring team and San Diego race alum, not to mention longtime friend. :-)

Mom and Dad dropped by after the run and just before the team potluck. They saw a few familiar faces, and I introduced them to a few of my new teammates. They probably won't get to do a water stop this season just due to the way timing is working out, so I wanted them to get to at least one of my runs. Thanks, guys!

The potluck following our run was in honor of our team and personal honorees. They are such phenomenal individuals -- true pillars of strength and models of inspiration. They've endured surgeries, rounds of chemo, recovery followed by setbacks, and yet they persevere and view each day as a glorious gift. It really helps give me perspective, and it makes me so glad that I can do something to help them and others like them who are going through treatment. I'm so proud of the fact that the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society consistently gives 75% of all funds raised to research and patient care.

One of my teammates, Lynsey, brought her personal honoree, Laura Warren! No kidding. Gary knew her last name was the same as my maiden name, so he introduced us. It's really a crazy small world. And Laura is truly an amazing individual. She really might be superwoman. She survived Hodgkins Lymphoma as a teenager and a recurrence just after college only to get breast cancer about 20 years later, which was manifested itself as a result of the treatment she had received for Hodgkins. She endured treatment for breast cancer once, and now it's back. She just finished her last round of chemotherapy about a month ago and goes in for a full-body scan on Monday to see if all the cancer is gone. Let's hope so!

You'd think so much cancer would be a burden, but no! Laura hasn't let it slow her down. She's particpated in I can't remember how many marathons with TNT -- one about a month after one of her chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer! She's also done two hikes with Hike for Discovery, among other TNT events. We should all be so blessed to meet people like Laura, let alone find out they're our "twin"!

No comments: